SPONSORED POST: Area dentist will buy your candy, give to troops

Published 7:00 am Thursday, October 31, 2019

By SCOTT MIMS / Staff Writer

Kids are excited to get candy on Halloween, but what happens to all of the uneaten candy that’s left over once the excitement is gone?

Dr. Lisa Wilson and her staff near Indian Springs have a solution—they will buy all of your unopened, unwanted candy for $1 per pound (up to five pounds) and donate it to U.S. military troops serving overseas.

The program is part of the nationwide Halloween Candy Buyback event and will take place on Monday, Nov. 4 from 2:30-5:30 p.m.

“We try to make it part of our office culture to promote healthy eating and also to give children a chance to give back to the troops overseas by writing notes and cards,” Wilson said, adding that an activity table will be set up in her office for children to write to a service member in their own handwriting.

Thousands of dentists across the U.S. participate in the annual program, which can be accessed at Halloweencandybuyback.com. This is Wilson’s 12th year to participate.

The Halloween Candy Buyback works in conjunction with other nonprofit organizations to prepare care packages for troops. Those closer to the East Coast work with the Florida-based Operation Shoebox.

“That’s how all this got started, working with nonprofit organizations to send care packages to troops overseas,” Wilson said. “It’s not just candy that goes in the care packages.”

Wilson’s office will accept donations of books, CDs, DVDs, socks, scarves and other useful items to include in the packages. These in addition to unopened candy may be donated through Thursday, Nov. 7; however, donors should note that Nov. 4 is the only date designated for candy buyback.

For more information about specific items to donate, in addition to guidelines, visit Operationshoebox.com.

“We want to promote healthy children by preventing cavities and obesity,” Wilson said. “One way to do that is to take the Halloween candy away, but we also do this to send a taste of home in care packages overseas.”

Children who donate candy must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. For more information, contact Wilson’s office at 205-995-8084. The office is located at 5470 Caldwell Mill Road, Birmingham, AL  35242.